IMPACT (Initiating and Motivating a Positive Alcohol Culture Together) Peer Education and Prevention Team is an integral part of Hokie Wellness. The goal of this group is to create an effective peer network that promotes positive alcohol choices by students and works to positively change the campus and community environment and culture. They promote the Party Positive message and support fellow Hokies through outreach and education in a non-judgmental way.
IMPACT is committed to:
- Reducing alcohol-related negative outcomes and creating a healthier and safer social environment free from high-risk drinking and its negative side effects.
- Educating fellow students through outreach and prevention programs, classroom presentations and media campaigns.
- Collecting data on alcohol and alcohol-related issues.
- Advocating for environmental change in the Virginia Tech and Blacksburg community.
Every year, IMPACT maintains a team of 15-18 peer educators who teach and facilitate workshops and the 21st Birthday Project, do outreach on-campus, and model the mission and goals of Hokie Wellness in the Virginia Tech community.
IMPACT is currently accepting applications. The deadline to apply is March 29, 2021. No late or incomplete applications will be considered. Learn more about the program below, and then click the button to apply!
Students on the IMPACT Team (Initiating and Motivating a Positive Alcohol Culture Together) work as an integral part of the Hokie campus community to promote positive alcohol choices through the Party Positive message. IMPACT members support and educate their fellow Hokies through a variety of opportunities, including hosting campus outreach events, teaching harm-reduction workshops, and facilitating one-on-one 21st Birthday Project meetings with other students.
IMPACT Team peer educators learn about alcohol and other substances, develop communication and public speaking skills, and gain experience in group facilitation, program planning, and leadership skills. As Hokie Wellness student employees, IMPACT members gain life and professional skills while making an enormous positive impact (get it?!) on the Virginia Tech community.
Here are some things that past IMPACT members have said about being in the program:
- "I love doing such purposeful and rewarding work with so many passionate and talented people!"
- "IMPACT has helped me grow as a person and be more confident in my public speaking. I’ve also made so many great connections and friendships with my peers and other members of Hokie Wellness."
- "It’s a wonderful feeling to know that you have a positive impact on fellow Hokies and on the whole community."
- "It feels amazing to be part of such a diverse and accepting group. They are family."
- "If you want a flexible job that allows you to feel like your work is actually going towards changing something and making people’s lives better, then IMPACT is perfect for you!"
- "It will provide you the opportunity to work and collaborate with a group of passionate and dedicated individuals. It helps you not only grow socially, but also professionally!"
How long has there been an IMPACT program?
IMPACT has been operating in its current form since 2015, and began as a small program in 2010 with the introduction of the Party Positive campaign!
Are IMPACT positions paid?
Yes! IMPACT team members are compensated for their time at $11/hr.
What is the time commitment?
The weekly time commitment for IMPACT members is between 2-9 hours. Each member attends a mandatory weekly meeting on Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30pm during the academic year as a portion of the 2-9 hours.
How will I be trained?
Applicants do not need to have alcohol harm-reduction knowledge to become an IMPACT team member. IMPACT holds a two-day retreat in August each year to train and prepare the team for the year ahead. As the semester unfolds, the team is constantly learning new information each week, so training is ongoing!
How long do people serve as IMPACT members?
The minimum period is 1 year (we do accept seniors), with most members who do not graduate after the first year, staying 2 or more years.
When do you accept applications?
The application process for IMPACT team membership is competitive. We are accepting applications now until March 29th. Use the link at the bottom of this page to apply.
Do you accept new members every year?
Yes. IMPACT recruits for new peer educators every spring semester.
Who can apply?
We accept applications from any rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
What majors do you accept?
All majors are welcome and encouraged to apply! The more diverse campus representation, the better!
How many people are on the IMPACT Team?
The group typically has 15-18 members.
What is the deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply for IMPACT is March 29th, 2021. No late or incomplete applications will be considered.
May I also apply for the other student groups that Hokie Wellness has, such as HEAT (Health Education & Awareness Team) program or The Body Project, as well as IMPACT?
No, you may only apply for one Hokie Wellness peer education group.
Are there other peer education programs at Virginia Tech?
Yes, there are several other non-Hokie Wellness peer education programs on campus. They include PALS (Peer Assistance for Learning), SAVES (Sexual Assault and Violence Education by Students), and AWARE (Mentoring project matching VT women with Blacksburg Middle School girls).
How do I apply?
Apply now by clicking on the button below!
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.