IMPACT Peer Education and Prevention Team is an integral part of Hokie Wellness. The goal of this group is to create an effective peer network that promotes the Party Positive message, works to positively change the campus and community environment and culture, and supports fellow Hokies through judgment-free substance misuse prevention outreach and education.
Every year, IMPACT maintains a team of 15-18 peer educators who teach workshops, facilitate the 21st Birthday Project, host outreach on-campus, and model the mission and goals of Hokie Wellness in the Virginia Tech community.
IMPACT is committed to:
- Reducing alcohol-related negative outcomes and creating a healthier and safer social environment free from high-risk drinking and its negative side effects.
- Educating fellow students through outreach and prevention programs, classroom presentations and media campaigns.
- Raising awareness and providing education on cannabis use and opioid overdose to help keep the VT community safe
- Advocating for environmental change in the Virginia Tech and Blacksburg community.
Why Choose IMPACT
IMPACT Team peer educators learn about alcohol and other substances, develop communication and public speaking skills, and gain experience in group facilitation, program planning, and leadership skills. As Hokie Wellness student employees, IMPACT members gain life and professional skills while making an enormous positive impact on the Virginia Tech community.
Here are some things that past IMPACT members have said about being in the program:
- "I love doing such purposeful and rewarding work with so many passionate and talented people!"
- "IMPACT has helped me grow as a person and be more confident in my public speaking. I’ve also made so many great connections and friendships with my peers and other members of Hokie Wellness."
- "It’s a wonderful feeling to know that you have a positive impact on fellow Hokies and on the whole community."
- "It feels amazing to be part of such a diverse and accepting group. They are family."
- "If you want a flexible job that allows you to feel like your work is actually going towards changing something and making people’s lives better, then IMPACT is perfect for you!"
- "It will provide you the opportunity to work and collaborate with a group of passionate and dedicated individuals. It helps you not only grow socially, but also professionally!"
How long has there been an IMPACT program?
IMPACT has been operating in its current form since 2015, and began as a small program in 2010 with the introduction of the Party Positive campaign!
Are IMPACT positions paid?
Yes! IMPACT team members are compensated for their time at $12/hr.
What is the time commitment?
The weekly time commitment for IMPACT members is approximately 5 hours. Each member attends a mandatory weekly meeting and will be assigned shifts based upon availability.
How will I be trained?
Applicants do not need to have harm-reduction knowledge to become an IMPACT team member. IMPACT holds a multi-day retreat in August each year to train and prepare the team for the year ahead. As the semester unfolds, the team is constantly learning new information each week, so training is ongoing!
How long do people serve as IMPACT members?
The minimum period is 1 year, and we do accept seniors! It's so much fun, that most members stay multiple years and only leave when they graduate.
When do you accept applications?
We will begin accepting applications for the 2024-2025 academic year in late February 2024. Watch out for recruitment advertisements and please apply!
Do you accept new members every year?
Yes. IMPACT recruits for new peer educators every spring semester.
Who can apply?
We accept applications from any rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
What majors do you accept?
All majors are welcome and encouraged to apply! The more diverse campus representation, the better!
How many people are on the IMPACT Team?
The group typically has 15-18 members.
What is the deadline to apply?
The application deadline will be announced when our recruitment period begins, but typically we begin reviewing submissions at the end of March.
Can I apply for other peer team positions, in addition to the IMPACT position? (example: FEELS Facilitator, Financial Wellness intern, HEAT member, Residential Well-being Student Leader)
No, you may only apply for one Hokie Wellness peer education group.
Please reach out to Annie Chalmers-Williams at email@example.com if you need any assistance picking the right group for you!
Join Our Team
IMPACT applications are not currently open. Please check back in February 2024!
- Work on average 5 hours per week
- Attend mandatory weekly meetings on Wednesdays from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Participate in a multi-day team retreat the week before Fall classes start
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
If you have any questions about IMPACT, please contact Annie Chalmers-Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.