For a listing of Virginia Tech and community caregiving information and resources please visit Caregiving.vt.edu. Hokie Wellness is also available to help you and your family as you navigate these resources. Feel free to schedule an appointment (on the right), call, or email us.
New River Valley Based Childcare Partnerships
To meet the growing demand for high-quality, affordable childcare services for the children of university faculty, staff and students, Virginia Tech entered into an agreement with four area childcare programs. Parents who need early care and education are encouraged to contact our childcare partners and follow their specific enrollment protocols. The four childcare partners will offer enrollment opportunities directly to Virginia Tech families based on the date enrollment information is finalized and documented by your childcare program of choice.
Those programs are:
- Children’s Nest: 1155 Draper Road SW Blacksburg, 540-953-3945
- Giles Health & Family Center: 701 Wenonah Avenue, Pearisburg, 540-921-3024
- Rainbow Riders: 307 N. Knollwood Drive, Blacksburg, 540-951-3636
- Valley Interfaith Child Care Center: 950 Heather Drive, Blacksburg, 540-951-8101
Roanoke Based Childcare Partnerships
To meet the growing demand for high-quality, affordable childcare services for the children of Roanoke-based faculty, staff and students, Virginia Tech entered into an agreement with Champion Early Learning Center. The center will offer enrollment opportunities directly to Virginia Tech families based on the date enrollment information is finalized. Parents who need early care and education are encouraged to contact the Learning Center and follow their specific enrollment protocols.
- Champion Early Learning Center: 5342 Fallowater Lane, Roanoke, 24018, 540-595-9010
Other Childcare Options
- Virginia Tech full-time faculty/staff and non-student wage employees across all locations have unlimited, premium access to the Care.com network for finding child care, adult care, pet care, housekeeping, and tutoring. You can book short- and long-term care, with a wide range of provider types including those with experience assisting children and adults with special needs. All caregivers within Care.com’s network have completed a background check (see CareCheck to learn more). Employees are able to search for caregivers, post jobs, purchase additional screening, and pay caregivers in real-time through the platform. If you have questions about Care.com, contact their Member Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to register with your VT email.
- Be sure to register with your VT email. When asked for PID, use the first part of your Virginia Tech email before the @ sign. For example, email@example.com – the PID would be hbird24. Do NOT use your alias or your 90 number. For questions, email Hokie Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hokie Wellness maintains a list of students who are interested in providing part-time child care (including during football games), elder care, tutoring, pet sitting, house sitting, yard work, and more. This list is updated as we receive new student applicants and at the start of each semester/summer. Requesters can contact the student(s) whom they feel will best meet their needs and request professional references if desired. All those with Virginia Tech single sign-on access have access to the list.
- Note: Virginia Tech assumes no responsibility for individuals who may have access to or be included on this list. Virginia Tech does not screen individuals in any way. You agree to hold the university and the Commonwealth of Virginia and all employees, students, and agents harmless from all claims related to this list and any services that may be provided. We recommend that you screen the individual you are hiring or providing services for; it is up to you to screen, conduct interviews and check references.
Virginia Tech has a relationship with Cultural Care Au Pair to offer another childcare option for employees. Au pairs provide a cultural experience for families while helping working parents pursue their professional goals. Among the many benefits to having a live-in care provider, an au pair can help with drop-off and pick-up, coverage for sick days and snow days, and provide the opportunity for better work/life integration for parents.
Virginia Tech employees receive a $575 discount* as a new family. Learn more about this program by clicking here or by calling 800-333-6056.
* To qualify for this discount, families must be new to Cultural Care Au Pair and must be employed by or a member of the partner organization. Offer cannot be applied retroactively and may not be combined with any other program fee discounts (excluding host family referral bonuses). Program fee discounts may only be applied to program terms of 30 weeks or more. The processing fee of $450 must be paid upon final au pair selection.
- Child Care Aware of Virginia is a community-based network of child care and early education specialists. The organization delivers services to families, child care professionals and communities, working to increase the accessibility, availability and quality of child care in Virginia.
- Virginia Department of Social Services (DSS) maintains a database that allows parents to learn more about child care and search for licensed child care. Parents have the ability to search places of care and review inspection history, including the frequency, nature of and dates of violations.
The Child Care Subsidy Program, with the Department of Education, assists families in paying child care costs for children under age 13 who are not eligible to attend public school during the part of the day when public education is available, or children with special needs under age 18 who reside with the applicant. If you are eligible and are approved for services, the Subsidy Program can pay a portion of your child care costs directly to the child care provider.
Please see the university caregiving site for all of the most up-to-date resources. If you need assistance navigating any of the resources, please reach out to Hokie Wellness.