21st Birthday Project
For those that choose to drink, the transition to turning 21 often includes new challenges, such as drinking for the first time, drinking in new and unfamiliar environments, and being faced with pressure to consume more than they may have in the past. By teaming up with local downtown businesses and other shops around the NRV, Hokie Wellness created a 21st Birthday coupon book and informational session designed to provide students with a toolkit for a safe and enjoyable celebration. We call it “The 21st Birthday Project”, and it’s become an exciting tradition here at Virginia Tech!
If you are turning 21, you may stop by and meet with Hokie Wellness at the designated program times on the McComas Hall Pool Deck to obtain your free 21st Birthday coupon book, which includes:
- Exclusive coupons for free and reduced-price food at Benny’s, Sharkey’s, TOT’s, PK’s, Sugar Magnolia, D.P. Dough, Bollo's, and The Lyric!
- Free Climbing at Crimper’s Climbing Gym, Free Laser Tag and Bowling at NRV Superbowl, Free Boxing Class at Blacksburg Boxing & Fitness, and reduced-price Venture Out trips and rentals!
- ...And more!
During the fall months, students may pick-up their coupon book by attending a brief information session with a peer educator or staff member (15 minutes) on the McComas Hall pool deck (on your right as you enter the main hallway) during the scheduled weekly programming (please refer to your email invitation to see exact day and time). Students MUST complete the program during their birthday week by attending during the program times. 21st Birthday Project does not operate on the weekends and drop-ins outside of scheduled program times or pre-scheduled appointments are not able to be accommodated. No coupon books can be provided after a student's birthday week has passed and coupon books can not be mailed or handed to anyone other than the person turning 21.
Special Notes about 21st Birthday Project:
- The brief information session and coupon pick-up lasts about 15 minutes.
- Students should receive an email approximately one week prior to their birthday inviting them to participate.
- An ID is required to validate the student’s date of birth.
- During break times, please contact Hokie Wellness for adjusted times that the program will be offered.
- The program does not operate on the weekends, holidays, or times when the university is closed.
- Coupon books may only be picked-up by the student turning 21; they will not be entrusted to friends, roommates, or family (as per agreements with participating businesses)
- If a student’s birthday week has passed, they can still participate in 21st Birthday Project. They will receive the informational session, all program materials, and may select a Party Positive/Hokie Wellness t-shirt as their birthday gift!
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to mail any program materials. However, we would love to meet with you and give you a free Hokie Wellness t-shirt when you are back in town!
No. Due to our agreements with local business and to protect the mission of the program, coupon books must be given directly to the person turning 21, no later than the day of their birthday.
Yes!. No matter how long ago your 21st birthday was, as long as you are still a current Virginia Tech student, you can come in for the information and receive a Hokie Wellness t-shirt.
2022-2023 Community Partners
- Cabo Fish Taco
- Top of the Stairs/ Bottom of the Stairs
- PK's Bar & Grill
- Bollo's Cafe & Bakery
- 622 North
- Sugar Magnolia
- Benny Marzano's Pizza
- Venture Out
- VT Group Exercise
- Blue Ridge Axe Throwing & Arcade
- Crimper's Climbing Gym
- NRV Super Bowl
- Blacksburg Boxing & Fitness
- The Lyric
- In Balance Yoga
If you have questions regarding the 21st Birthday Project, or you are a local business interested in becoming a community partner, please contact the Hokie Wellness Office at (540) 231-2233 or email@example.com.