Koru Mindfulness and Meditation
The Koru Mindfulness program was developed over the course of a decade by psychiatrists Holly Rogers and Margaret Maytan to bring the benefits of mindfulness to the college students they worked with at Duke University’s student counseling center.
The evidence-based Koru curriculum is supported by a randomized controlled trial and designed specifically for college students and young adults to manage stress, improve sleep, and increase mindfulness and self-compassion, however participants of all ages are welcome.
Students and employees are invited to discover the importance of mindfulness at the Koru Mindfulness series. During the series, participants will be introduced to the practice of mindfulness and learn several skills, including meditation for managing stress.
Participants are required to attend all four sessions and may choose to purchase the book, The Mindful Twenty Something, by Holly B. Rodgers, MD prior to the first session. The text may be purchased from local bookstores, Amazon or digitally from the library.
The following Koru Mindfulness Sessions are being offered this spring semester:
- Wednesday, Feb. 13-Wednesday, March 6, 4-5:15 p.m., Graduate Life Center Wellness Room, registration required.
- Thursday, Feb. 14-Thursday, March 7, 4-5:15 p.m., Graduate Life Center Wellness Room, registration required.
- Tuesday, March 19-Tuesday, April 9, 3-4:15 p.m., North End Center, room 2200, registration required.
- Wednesday, March 20-Wednesday, April 10, 4-5:15 p.m., McComas Hall, room 198, registration required.
- Thursday, March 21-Thursday, April 11, 12:15-1:30 p.m., New Hall West downstairs training room, registration required.
- Thursday, April 18-Thursday, May 9, 12:15-1:30 p.m., North End Center, room 2410, registration required.
- Thursday, March 21-Thursday, April 11, 4-5:15 p.m., Graduate Life Center Wellness Room, registration required.
- Wednesday, April 17-Wednesday, May 8, 4-5:15 p.m.. McComas Hall, room 198, registration required.
For more information, email Hokie Wellness at email@example.com or call 540-231-8878 (employees) or 540-231-2233 (students).
Koru Retreat: Half Day Mindfulness Experience
Students and employees are invited to a half-day Koru mindfulness and meditation retreat. The retreat is open to beginners and those with more experience. The spring semester retreat is scheduled for Friday, May 3, 1-4 p.m. Look for more information to come.
This half-day retreat is the perfect opportunity for individuals to reconnect at a time of year that is often hectic. Participants will practice meditation, yoga, and mind/body skills for relaxation and wellness, and learn skills that can enhance their immune system, concentration, energy, and ability to enjoy life.