Body Image at Home
The Body Project
Two part session
7/22 & 7/29 | 1:00-3:00pm | [Register for Zoom Meeting]
Hey ladies, do you want to stop hating your body but have no idea how? If you just answered “yes,” you are not alone. Let us help you bring the phrase “self-confidence is the best outfit, rock it and own it,” to life with the Body Project Workshop Series (BPWS). By age 6, girls start to express concerns about their own weight or shape. 40-60% of elementary school girls ages 6-12 are concerned about their weight or about becoming too fat. This concern endures through college and decades into adult life. We can teach you how to break that cycle. This workshop series is entirely interactive and you'll have many opportunities to contribute. The participants themselves generate almost all of the content and discussions. Our Body Project Facilitators just lead participants there. You'll get to talk, share, listen, and discover with other women. Most participants are surprised at just how much they enjoyed the workshop and say that the 4 hours flew by. For many, it's the beginning of a whole new way of thinking.
You may be worried about how you are going to get in your gym session today or thinking you may lose or gain weight as a result of so many changes to your routine and eating patterns.
If you are worried about ways to stay active, get creative, get outside, go virtual! Many companies are providing free online workouts. Check out Rec Sports for their link to free online workouts from Les Mills!
Changing up routines can be a great way to get out of your fitness routine rut - who knows, you may even find something new that you love.
If you are experiencing negative thought patterns about your physical appearance try some of these:
- Write a list of all of the positive things your body does for you.
- Clear out your social media feed - stop following accounts that make you feel bad about your body, follow body positive accounts! Here are a few to get you started
- @streetsmart.rd (HAES/IE RD)
- @tessholliday (Body Positive Celeb)
- @marciRD (HAES/IE RD)
- @andreapaul.rd (HAES/IE/RD)
- @mollybcounseling (Licensed Counselor/IE/HAES)
- @jennifer_rollin (EDO therapist)
- Listen to a body positive podcast. Check these out.
- Food Psych – Christy Harrison, MPH, RD, CDN (Body Positive/RD/HAES)
- You Can Eat With Us – Cara Harbstreet, RD (Body Positive/RD/HAES)
- Body Kindness – Rebecca Scritchfield, RDN (Body Positive/RD/HAES)
- P.H.I.T for a Queen – Kara Shelman, LCSW, MPH & Rebecca McConville, RD, CSSD (athlete focused)
- Recovery Warrior – Jessica Flint (EDO recovery)
- Don’t Salt My Game – Laura Thomas, PhD (PhD/Body Positive)
- If you are worried about yourself or a friend who is experiencing disordered eating patterns, consider getting help. NEDA - the National Eating Disorder Association has a helpline and screening tool to get you started
Many of our workshops will be available in live virtual sessions, or by being pre-recorded. We ask that the distribution of any recorded programming be only distributed to the intended audience and NOT used in the future beyond spring semester 2020. Once normal operations resume, we want to be able to offer our usual in-person, interactive, and effective programming in the format where it is best received. If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.