Virginia Tech is proud to support nursing moms with a network of facilities located throughout the Blacksburg campus. Virginia Tech Policy 4300 supports employees requesting lactation support for up to a year after the birth of a child. Additional information can be in the 2010 amendment to Section 7 of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Who is Eligible?
The rooms are available to Virginia Tech employees and students, as well as visitors who contact Hokie Wellness for access information.
Guidelines for Facility Use
- Do not give the pass code to anyone who has not registered.
- Women should sign up for time slots in the notebook provided in each room. It is only necessary to sign up a week or two in advance.
- This room is for you. Feel free to put up baby pictures on the bulletin board, post messages to others, or bring in articles or magazines for others to share. The literature on parenting and child development is for your use as well.
- If you need to store small items (snacks, books, etc.) in the cabinets, please do so at your own risk.
- If the room needs cleaning or supplies, contact housekeeping services for the building. With other problems, notify Hokie Wellness.
- Some rooms are equipped with hospital grade Lactina pumps.
- If you use a pump, please wipe it down with an approved solution after each use.
- The personal accessory kit for the Lactina pump is available by calling the MRH Lactation Consultants at 540-953-5409.
- If the pump is not working correctly, contact Hokie Wellness.
- Moss Center for the Arts, 2nd floor, located in the hallway across from the upper gallery, near the Turner Street entrance
- Burruss Hall, 3rd floor
- Classroom Building, room B08
- Smith Career Center, main level
- Davidson Hall, 4th floor, room D12
- Durham Hall, 3rd floor
- Human and Agricultural Biosciences Building I, 1st floor, across from elevator
- Kelly Hall , 4th floor
- Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS) I, 4th floor, across from elevator
- Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS) II, main level
- Integrated Life Sciences building
- Latham Hall, 2nd floor
- Lavery Hall, 3rd floor, room 305
- Life Sciences I, 2nd floor
- New Hall West, basement
- Newman Library, 3rd floor
- Map of the 3rd floor; the lactation room is located on the left side of the map near the bathroom and elevator.
- North End Center, 3rd floor
- Southgate Center, 1st floor
- Surge Building, room 170F
- Virginia Bioinformatics Institute
- VA-MD College of Veterinary Medicine, main floor
- Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, building 1, first floor
- Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, building 2, room 159
- Corporate Research Center, research building XV, room 1200B
- Corporate Research Center, Andrews Information System building
- Wallace Hall, 3rd floor
La Leche League Support
La Leche League was founded to give information and encouragement, mainly through personal help, to all mothers who want to breast feed their babies. While complementing the care of the physician and other health care professionals, it recognizes the unique importance of one mother helping another to perceive the needs of her child and to learn the best means of fulfilling those needs.
Hokie Wellness Locations
195 McComas Hall (0140)
895 Washington Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061
North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318)
300 Turner St., NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061